Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Knowing Who it is about...

More Ephesians...

Knowing it is not about me, I realize how important it is for me to really know who it is about, to really know God. Internalizing the idea that it is not about me tempts me to think that I really don't matter. Since my life is not for my benefit, but for God's, truly understanding God's nature is what makes life worth living.

As I thought this through, I continued reading and saw that Paul was thinking the same thing. In Ephesians 1:17 he tells the Ephesians that he is praying for them to "know Him (God) better." Paul wants them to know the hope they are called to and the riches of his glorious inheritance. It struck me that these are not earthly things, but eternal. We won't even clearly "see" these things until after we leave this life.

So, how to go on? How do we a live a life not for our benefit? How do we live a life for goals we can not reach during our lifetime? We can go on because God has great power for us (vs.19). And Christ has been given dominion and all authority (vs. 20-22). Christ also spent time here, we can read about His life, His love, forgiveness, and patience. He is someone we can trust.

It is just making me realize how important reading my Bible is. The more I know about God, the more I see of the hope I am called to and the inheritance I have. God is so big, He is so wise, He is so good. As I get to know him better, I better understand that while it is not about me, it is about what is best and what is most important.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I've come to believe it's not necessarily an "either-or" kind of thing -- it's not all about us, but because of Jesus we can know the presence of God in a whole new way, even though it's really "not about us." His presence is like going through a really bad day, but with your best friend who won't abandon you, who makes you laugh or think or who cries with you, and helps you see things from a different perspective, who really cares about how you are doing in the middle of the "not about you" stuff. Does that make sense?